Sunday 21 February 2016

My Homemade GESSO Recipe

Hi everyone, and a huge hello to my new Subscriber's. I wanted to post my recipe for making my own Gesso here today. I like to make my own, because of affordability, and I get to control the thickness. It lasts a long time in a Mason Jar. I have had some jars over a year, and when I open it, they are as smooth as can be, just like the day I made it. Please enjoy.

1/4 Cup of Water
1/4 Cup of Elmer's White Glue ....any white glue will do.
1/4 Cup of Baby Powder....I use Dollar Store BP
1/2 Cup of Acrylic White Paint.... I use the cheapest brand I can find....

Place the water, and the baby powder in a jar, with the lid secure, shake it all up. Now, add the glue, and shake it some more...stir if you like, just make sure it is all mixed well. Now the paint is added. I take a wooden stick to mix it up. I add more baby powder to the mixture until I am satisfied with the consistency. I like my Gesso THICK. I can always thin it with water when I need it thinner. You can substitute the white paint for any colour you like. Black will need to be thick, because I add more to the mix just before I start to apply it to my canvas...Makes it look so much darker this way. I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please leave them for me, and I will get back to you, as soon as I can. Take care.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, will this cause discoloration in the painting over time?

    ReplyDelete